Files outside debian directory in diff

As you all might know, rerunning autotools during a build of a package will
leave a substantial amount of files modified outside of the debian directory,
and thus will increase the size of the diff file.

This approach doesn't comply with Debian policy in regards to the "clean"
target. I'm interested in knowing any solutions for this problem for packages
that rerun autotools during build. A solution I've thought of was to
backup/restore the generated files during a "build" or "clean" of a package.

I've attached a script that could be used to backup and restore generated *.in
files back to the state they were in from the source tarball.

Any comments are welcome.

--
Regards,
Andres