Re: Packaging without Makefile

"Dominik George" <natureshadow@gmail.com> writes:

>    - Ran dpkg -b in order to get a .deb package out of that

Yes, that's all 'dpkg -b' does: it builds the *binary* package (the
foo.deb).

> But all I am left with is a .deb file - so nothing I could upload to
> mentors.debian.net or such.

You want 'dpkg-buildpackage'. Read its man page to see that you can
use it to build either binary or source packages, and much more
flexible besides.

> All guides I could find explain how to either build a source package

That's exactly what you should be uploading to mentors.debian.net.

> or how to use dh_make - which needs a Makefile that compiles the
> sources.

Er? The upstream package doesn't need to have a Makefile at all, I
don't know what gave you the impression that's a requirement.

You merely need to construct the 'debian/rules' file (which is,
itself, a makefile) with rules to do the right thing for the expected
targets. If that's running "make build" for the upstream package, then
do that; but if it's something else entirely, do that instead.

--
 \                 “Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine |
  `\          contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time.” |