Re: tkgate & povray

Ahmed El-Mahmoudy <aelmahmoudy@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Now povray is neither in Depends nor Build-Depends. The images in
> povray/ directory are provided by the upstream orig tarball (ie. not
> created by the building process).

The reason to remove them from the tarball is that the work then
doesn't include the corresponding source code (required by DFSG §2)
under the same license terms (required by DFSG §3).

Once the images can be re-built with software in 'main', the images
can be re-included; but until then, they need to be removed if the
work is to satisfy the DFSG.

> Also there's another issue, the previous maintainer of tkgate
> package did not put any copyrights for the packaging itself (please
> look at debian/copyright). So I do not know what to do regarding
> this matter.

Is the previous maintainer responding to your attempts at contacting
them? The simplest resolution is to get explicit written copyright
notice and license from them, preferably under the same terms of the
packaged work (i.e. GPL v2 or later).

--
 \     "For man, as for flower and beast and bird, the supreme triumph |
  `\    is to be most vividly, most perfectly alive"  -- D.H. Lawrence |