Re: tkgate & povray

Hi!

Am 21.4.2008 schrieb "Ahmed El-Mahmoudy"
<aelmahmoudy@users.sourceforge.net>:

[ povray generate images in orig.tar.gz ]

>Now povray is neither in Depends nor Build-Depends. The images in povray/
>directory are provided by the upstream orig tarball (ie. not created
>by the building process). So I don't see a violation here, I hope
>someone would advise us regarding this matter.

Well, if they are part of the tarball and licensed under the terms of the
GPL, the least thing we would need are the sources of the images.

There are some examples where the "source" of the images aren't used
during the build process (e.g. I remember a package having a document
shipped as pdf, because it has a WinWord .doc as "source"; the source
is shipped within the tarball, as is a pdf of the document).

However, I'm not sure if having the source of povray rendered images is
okay for Debian main, since you'll still need a non-free software for
creating modified works (based upon the "prefered form of
modification" which would be the povray source not the images itself).

>Also there's another issue, the previous maintainer of tkgate package
>did not put any copyrights for the packaging itself (please look at
>debian/copyright). So I do not know what to do regarding this matter.

Even with no explicit copyright, every maintainer grants an implicit
license to distribute, modify and distribute modified versions of his
packaging work (since the Debian policy explicit allow non maintainer
uploads).

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander

Yours sincerely,