Re: Easiest way to Debianise a package?

On 4/12/08, Ivan Vucica <ivucica@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Does the original .tar.gz, produced by make dist, have to contain the
>  data files? Or can I just copy them into "destination directory"
>  afterwards so they get included into the .diff only (probably a bad
>  idea)?

They need to either be in the same orig.tar.gz as the source, or a
different orig.tar.gz - if upstream doesn't release the data files
along with the source, it's just a pain for the packager, since they
have to make a orig.tar.gz file for the purpose of packaging the data.
 If the data and source are all in the same orig.tar.gz, you use a
debian/foo.install file to list what goes in the architecture
dependent package, and then a debian/foo-data.install file to list all
the (architecture independent) data files.

You split up the files into two packages because the data package can
be reused for all of the architectures, since there's no machine code
in it, which saves space. If you're upstream, then for the sake of
packagers, you probably want to release the data and source code in
the same tarball, unless you like to release updates for them
independently (i.e. if the source gets updated much more often than
the data).

>  And another one:
>  YATC's .deb building process, as stated above, was pretty much
>  automatized as outlined in README.Debian in SVN. (Didn't know what
>  Debian-specific things to write there, so I wrote how to build .deb
>  files; if it were a production ready package, I'd probably have
>  smarter things to put there, but oh well.)
>  What I basically do is this:
>  * make dist
>  * rm -rf debtmp
>  * mkdir debtmp
>  * cp yatc-0.2.tar.gz debtmp # some folder renaming here to produce
>  yatc-0.2.20080412 -- that is, date based stuff appended for revision
>  tracking
>  * tar xvvfz yatc-0.2.tar.gz # thought about it and it's a bad idea
>  since tar.gz does not contain folder renamed that way
>  * cd yatc-0.2
>  * ./autogen.sh
>  * ./configure [prefix options]
>  * dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
>
>  As you can see I clean up the destination directory, debtmp, every
>  time. Is that a good thing to do? Should I keep it, including the
>  - -orig.tar.gz, to make it just keep a diff between one "original" SVN
>  revision? (That is -- if I update the source from upstream, should I
>  keep the build directory so that it produces the diff from an older
>  tarball?)
>  Or should I keep it only when changing between Debian revisions?
>  (Meaning e.g. 0.2.20080412-1 => 0.2.20080412-2?)
>  Should I keep it at all or is it safe to do a "full rebuild" every
>  time? (It's probably frowned upon, but is it ok?)

This is confusing, but if I understand your question, then my answer
is no.  You only want the diff to include Debian specific changes, not
upstream changes.  In most cases the debian directory and the files
within should be the only thing in the diff, but in the rare case that
you need something changed for the clean target to work properly, then
you might patch that in the diff as well.