Re: Easiest way to Debianise a package?

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 06:00:41PM +0200, Ivan Vucica wrote:
> 1. What are your recommendations with regards to what to use to
> perform initial debianisation of the project? Meaning - what should I
> use? Just debhelper? CDBS?
I'd use dh-make, but I'm obviously biased in that regard.  I didn't like
CDBS myself.

> 2. Should data files be produced by same "debianisation" directory (by
> which I mean folder containing files "copyright", "rules", etc)?
Depending on the relative sizes, data files should probably go in their
own package. copyright goes into ALL Debian binary packages. rules files
are required by all Debian source packages.

> 3. Should source file generated by autotools contain the data files?
> Will that make debianisation any easier?
Generally make dist will create the Makefile.in and configure files
but not the Makefile itself.  Whatever make dist does should be good
enough.

> 4. In case my questions are wrong:
> What would be your steps for producing packages "project" and
> "project-data", considering what I mentioned above and directory
> structure below?
I'd have a debian/project-data.files file and use dh_movefiles

> What would be your desires for upstream -- what should upstream do to
> make your life easier?
Use autotools correctly (difficult and I'm usually the upstream!)
Don't put undistributable files in the source package.
Don't muck up the copyrights of various files, for example a mixture
of files with conflicting copyrights.
Don't mandatorily link to something not in Debian and that could not
ever be in Debian.
The autotools usually take care of it, but make sure its easy to shift
the destination of the install target. For example you don't want
make install to install something in /bin with no way of changing it
with either a PREFIX or DESTDIR option.

> What would you do after fetching SVN (not tar.gz) that contains data
> as below, and whose "make dist" would generate .tar.gz containing just
> sources?
There are some tools to make things easier, I'd just download the svn
and make dist.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
http://www.enc.com.au/                             csmall at : enc.com.au