Easiest way to Debianise a package?

Cheers,

Since I have last bothered debian-devel-games, I have studied how to
create packages. I was asking how to properly create executable
packages separate from packages containing data files. This was for an
MMORPG open source client replacement called YATC. I have produced
something working somewhere in February; resulting "Debian-producing
files" can be found int:
* http://opentibia.svn.sf.net/svnroot/opentibia/yatc/trunk/debian/
* http://opentibia.svn.sf.net/svnroot/opentibia/yatc/trunk/debian-data/

This works and seems to produce somewhat valid packages -- it's
installable, it works, and while I didn't check in detail with lintian
and linda, it looks to me like it might pass for valid Debian
packages. But the solution itself does not make me happy.

I'm looking for a smarter way to produce Debian packages for future
games, out of SVN'ed, autotools-using projects. I'm looking for
information for cases where I am the upstream. That means I could use
tips with proper use of autotools to make generating DEBs easier; I'm
still generally struggling with autotools.

My question is generic and not related to YATC. (For example, YATC's
sources can't include data files since data files from original client
are, well, not licensed for such distribution.)

So, I have an autotools project. Punching in "make dist" produces
"project-0.1.tar.gz". "make distcheck" also produces a valid
executable provided that all libraries are installed. Data files are
not (currently) mentioned anywhere in the autotools data files such as
Makefile.am, configure.ac, etc.

Questions:
1. What are your recommendations with regards to what to use to
perform initial debianisation of the project? Meaning - what should I
use? Just debhelper? CDBS?
2. Should data files be produced by same "debianisation" directory (by
which I mean folder containing files "copyright", "rules", etc)?
3. Should source file generated by autotools contain the data files?
Will that make debianisation any easier?

4. In case my questions are wrong:
What would be your steps for producing packages "project" and
"project-data", considering what I mentioned above and directory
structure below?
What would be your desires for upstream -- what should upstream do to
make your life easier?
What would you do after fetching SVN (not tar.gz) that contains data
as below, and whose "make dist" would generate .tar.gz containing just
sources?

I would be most grateful if someone would bother and make one little
Debinoob a little more one three three seven.

P.S. I'm also not sure if my signing process is valid, so if someone
could check if it signs the text correctly compared to the key
published on URL below, I'd be grateful. (I'm trying to use FireGPG,
Iceweasel extension to add "few" buttons to Gmail)
http://ivucica.googlepages.com/

Example directory structure:

aclocal.m4
AUTHORS
autogen.sh
autom4te.cache
BUGS
ChangeLog
config.status
configure.ac
COPYING
depcomp
doc/
  file.txt
graphics/
  metal1.png
  metal2.png
INSTALL
install-sh
Makefile.am
Makefile.in
missing
models/
  human.obj
  ship1.obj
  ship2.obj
music/
  song1.ogg
  song2.ogg
NEWS
README
sectors/
  sector1.xml
  sector2.xml
ships/
  ship1.xml
  ship2.xml
sounds/
src/
  Makefile.am.template
  Makefile.in
  main.cpp
  ship.h
  ship.cpp
  space.h
  space.cpp

Note: src/Makefile.am.template is generated using autogen.sh to
produce src/Makefile.am... don't ask.

- --
Ivan Vučica

- -- Croatia --