Modifications to included libs

Dear mentors,

I'm working on a package that includes some php libs (e.g. pear
packages). Some of those are already packaged for debian so it'd be
better at all if I'd set a dependency on it and don't ship the code
again, right?
First of all my question is how to do that. Can I just create a symlink
to the other package or must I modify the upstream source to look at the
right place (without using links)?
And the next question is: what can I do if upstream uses a modified
version of that lib? Is there a proper way to ship just the
modifications and for the rest use the files of the lib package?

Thanks in advance for helping me!

Cheers,
Hauke