Re: RFS: jin

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 6:03 AM, Bernhard R. Link <brlink@debian.org> wrote:
>  resources/lnfs and resources/libs contains jar files with classes but nothing
>  seems to contain their sources.

After looking at the licensing issues a little deeper, and consulting
upstream, it seems there are two binary-only jars that are non-free
and are required to compensate for lag. Removing them would
significantly degrade the user experience and it seems there's no
possibility for them to be opened up. So, I have no alternative but to
give up this package since I have no plans of maintaining non-free
software.

There was also the case of parts of the distribution being none-DFSG
compliant, which needed to be looked at, but mostly superseded  by the
previous constraint.

I still think Jin is a great piece of software, and upstream has been
very courteous in responding to my requests. If anyone is willing to
take it up, please let me know off the list, so I can send you what
I've done so far.

Thanks for your input. I'll definitely do a better job with licensing
aspects next time.

--
Anuradha Weeraman
http://www.linux.lk/~anu/