Re: cowbuilder and Distribution field in .changes file

"Salvatore Ansani" <ml@ansani.it> writes:

> there is a way to create a .deb for a specific distro (stable / unstable /
> testing) from same source tree ??

Sure, build it multiple times and after each build, modify the *.changes
file to target whatever distribution you built it for.

However, this is really not a useful practice for arch: any packages, only
for arch: all packages (and then, there's no need to build multiple
times).  What I do for internal packages is build arch: all packages once
and then upload them to each separate environment by changing the
*.changes file and resigning it for each upload.

For arch: any packages, I do exactly the same thing I would do for Debian
plus backports.org, except all at once.  I build the package for unstable,
sign and upload to unstable, and then use dch to add a new changelog entry
with a version number that appends ~, a local string, and a build number
to the previous version, build that for stable, and then upload it.  The
changelog in the latter case is set to target stable, so I don't have to
modify the *.changes file.

You want the version in stable to have a lower version number than the
version in unstable, even in local repositories, since otherwise you'll
mess yourself up when doing dist-upgrades later.

> I need *only* to modify debian/changelog ??

Unless library dev packages have changed names or the backport is
otherwise not trivial.

> It's debian policy compliant ??

I don't know what "it" refers to in this sentence.