Re: RFH: liblicense: dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: couldn't find library

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Russ Allbery wrote:

Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@asheesh.org> writes:

When building this dsc
<http://asheesh.org/debian/pool/main/libl/liblicense/liblicense_0.5.1-1.dsc>,
I get at the end of the build:

dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: couldn't find library liblicense.so.1 needed by
debian/liblicense-cli/usr/bin/license (its RPATH is '').
Note: libraries are not searched in other binary packages that do not have
any shlibs or symbols file.
To help dpkg-shlibdeps find private libraries, you might need to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code 512
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit
status 2

Naturally, I'm probably doing something wrong - but I have no idea what
it is.  I think that the soname and library package name are correct,
for one thing.  Can someone perhaps help?

You have dh_makeshlibs commented out in your debian/rules file.  You have
to run dh_makeshlibs when building shared libraries.  Otherwise, you don't
get a shlibs file, which means that the shared library package won't work
right and dh_shlibdeps can't find it when setting shared library
dependencies.

Thanks - that fixed that problem!

Would it make sense for me to report a bug (and maybe a patch) to the message printed by dpkg-shlibdeps to point out this possible mistake (since it already points out the need for LD_LIBRARY_PATH)?

-- Asheesh.

--
May cause drowsiness.