RFH: liblicense: dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: couldn't find library

I'm working on a package of the last release of liblicense. The liblicense source package generates liblicense.so.1 in a liblicense1 package and a program /usr/bin/license that links to
liblicense.so.1 to do its job.

liblicense, by means of background, is a C library. Its mission in life is to make it easier for developers to read and write license metadata in and out of media files; I'm also the upstream on it in my work at Creative Commons. Every file format has a different standard for storing this metadata, so liblicense abstracts all that away.

(It does this by linking to other libraries like libflac and libvorbis and libexempi to provide a unified API for license and related metadata. Not all file types or external libraries support all the metadata we want to support, but that's okay.)

When building this dsc <http://asheesh.org/debian/pool/main/libl/liblicense/liblicense_0.5.1-1.dsc>, I get at the end of the build:

dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: couldn't find library liblicense.so.1 needed by debian/liblicense-cli/usr/bin/license (its RPATH is ''). Note: libraries are not searched in other binary packages that do not have any shlibs or symbols file. To help dpkg-shlibdeps find private libraries, you might need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code 512
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2

Naturally, I'm probably doing something wrong - but I have no idea what it is. I think that the soname and library package name are correct, for one thing. Can someone perhaps help?

(I also did the same build in a sid pbuilder, which gave me the same results.)

Thanks!

-- Asheesh.

--
Life is like a diaper -- short and loaded.