RFC: Exclude config.sub and config.guess from

Am Montag, den 11.02.2008, 14:45 +0100 schrieb David Paleino:
> Il giorno Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:17:54 +0100
> Daniel Leidert <daniel.leidert.spam@gmx.net> ha scritto:
>
> > We simply copy config.sub and config.guess into the build directory for
> > some years now and I never observed any problem with this.
> >
> > I'm really wondering why you want to make the situation complicated?
>
> And if the config.{sub,guess} copied are different from those provided
> upstream, isn't this difference going to pollute the .diff.gz? I'd like to take
> the .diff.gz the most clean possible; i.e. only keep debian/ in it.

I fully agree. But you already have a possibility to achieve this:

Copy the config.* scripts after the clean target has been called (e.g.
in the config.status target) then they are simply not part of the
diff.gz. Of course they would be after a second build run. If you care
and if you want to avoid this: preserve the original config.* scripts
and put them back in the clean-target. This increases the whole
debian/rules file for around 4 lines.

This *is* much more easier than any other suggestion I read in this
thread.

A possible alternative could be to exclude config.sub and config.guess
creating the .diff(.gz). But this can lead to problems, if you patched
one of these files. IIRC I saw this during the introduction of
kfreebsd-i386, but I'm not sure.

Regards, Daniel