Re: Lintian: outdated-autotools-helper-file

Adam Borowski wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 01:40:07PM -0600, Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz
> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 08:27:52PM +0100, David Paleino wrote:
>> > E: gnome-translate source: outdated-autotools-helper-file config.guess
>> > 2003-07-02
>> >
>> > What am I supposed to do? I believe that Build-Depending on
>> > autotools-dev | automake is not sufficient, as it seems that those
>> > files won't be updated anyways. Should I update them manually? This
>> > will introduce those changes in the .diff.gz outside the debian/ dir
>>
>> Build-Depend on autotools-dev, move the ofending files aside and put
>> the new copy in thier place before running ./configure, copy the
>> originals back at the end of clean.
>
> Or, instead of saving the originals, just delete them.  dpkg-source
> ignores all deletions.

Quoting the Debian Policy, section 4.9 Main building script: debian/rules[1]

> clean
>
> This must undo any effects that the build and binary targets may have had,
> except that it should leave alone any output files created in the parent
> directory by a run of a binary target.

So according to the policy the clean target must put the original files back
on place.

[1]http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-debianrules

Cheers,
--
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.