Re: RFS/RFC: bibutils; convert bibliographic data between formats

Le Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 12:29:38PM +0100, David Bremner a écrit :

>     Charles> * debian/rules: are you sure that you need to run the
>     Charles> configure script?  If not, you can drop the
>     Charles> build-dependancy on csh.
>
> Hmm. The script is simple, and I could write a replacement, but
> something has to generate a Makefile. The script could be replaced
> with a few sed invocations. This makes the package slightly more
> fragile with respect to upgrades; do you think this is worth it to
> drop the dependency?

I ran it on powerpc, diffed the new and old makefiles, and came to the
conclusion that running it did not have any significant changes: only
one variable was changed, containing the name of the build architecture,
but it is not used in the rules called by debian/rules. I think that you
can stop calling this script and therefore remove the build-dependancy
on csh.

>     Charles> PS: actually, debhelper is very smart and replaces the
>     Charles> .so manpages by symlinks !
>
> Right, so do you think there is any reason not to rely on this?

It contradicts the principle of least surprise, so how about using
dh_link instead ? it is quite trivial. On the other hand, if you want to
submit your manpages for upstream inclusion, I do not know which
solution is most portable.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy