Re: RFS/RFC: bibutils; convert bibliographic data between formats

Le Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 04:42:39AM +0100, David Bremner a écrit :

> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "bibutils".
>
> * Package name    : bibutils
>   Version         : 3.39-1
>   Upstream Author : Chris Putnam <cdputnam@scripps.edu>
>   URL             : http://www.scripps.edu/~cdputnam/software/bibutils/bibutils.html
>   Programming Lang: C
>   License         : GPL2
>   Description     : interconvert various bibliographic data formats
>   Section         : text
>
>  Bibutils is a set of command-line filters that convert between the following
>  bibliographic data formats: BibTeX, COPAC, EndNote refer, EndNote XML,
>  Pubmed XML, ISI web of science, US Library of Congress MODS, RIS, and
>  Word 2007 bibliography.

Dear David,

this package would be very useful to scientists, so I am sure that you
can find long-term support on the debian-science@l.d.o mailing list.

I have added your package on the following wiki page:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScienceBibliography
If you want, can you update it when bibutils gets accepted in Debian?

Although I am not a DD, I have a few comments on your package:

* debian/copyright: bibutils is released under the GPLv2 or any later
  version. Also, you have to include the thee paragraphs from the "How to
  Apply These Terms to Your New Programs" section of the GPL to the
  copyright file. Lastly, the copyright of C. Putnam starts from 1995.

* debian/docs: has a duplicated line.

* debian/bibutils.dbk: you used a template that is not the latest (see
  /usr/share/doc/docbook-xsl/examples/foo.1.example_manpage.xml.gz ) You
  do not need to update it, but for instance, the latest has a link to
  its stylesheed in the header, so that `xsltproc debian/bibutils.dbk'
  would be enough to make the manpate. Personnaly, I do not build the
  manpages at buildd time anymore, I just regenerate them only if they
  really changed, and include the .1 files in the source package.
  Lastly, Policy 12.1 recommends to use symlinks instead of the .so
  system.

* debian/control: are you sure you need the autotools.dev package? Will
  the config.(sub|guess) files be used by the configure script?

* debian/rules: are you sure that you need to run the configure script?
  If not, you can drop the build-dependancy on csh.

* xml2word has the potential to generate namespace clashes in the
  future. Maybe you can ask upstream if he would like to consider
  renaming it.

* Bibutils provide a small test suite. Maybe you can build it and run it
  in during the package building.

PS: actually, debhelper is very smart and replaces the .so manpages by
symlinks !

Have a nice day, and many thanks for packaging bibutils!

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org