Re: RFS: rafb

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 21:20 +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> On 20/01/2008, Moe Smith wrote:
> > I just uploaded a fixed version 1.0-6, my lintian (from lenny) doesn't
> > complain about that one anymore. Please let me know if there are still
> > problems.
>
> Please always use the latest one. Since it's a Perl-based package, it
> shouldn't cause any problem to fetch the unstable package and install it
> on your lenny (through “dpkg -i”, for example).

Hmm, okay, where would I fetch the deb?
I'm actually running etch (pinned) but with lenny and unstable in my
sources.list. "apt-get install -t unstable lintian" only gave me the
lenny version.

> > Well, I'd hope packages are judged by their usefulness, not by their
> > size. :-)
>
> > rafb is a one-trick-pony. I created it because I found nothing similar
> > in debian. I unfortunately missed 'pastebinit' by David Paleino in my
> > search because my first contact with mentors was when I sought a way
> > to upload my newly created package...
> >
> > Anyways, what is the general debian policy about one trick ponies?
> > Can multiple alternatives go in or should only one be chosen?
>
> Alternatives aren't an issue. Small (1-script-with-a-single-purpose
> falls in the “small” category) packages are usually frowned upon.

Well, I understand there are concerns wrt maintenance overhead
and that small packages may be more likely to turn into orphans
than, say, xorg. Maybe utilities as small as mine (or, say,
the flickr-upload stuff) are really not worth including.
But otoh I wonder how many of the small things can be left
out before users start looking for other distros :-\

> Especially if that pastebinit does its job right and supports multiple
> hosts.

Sure. I'm not religious about this, if pastebinit is better then make
that one go in. I didn't know about pastebinit when I created rafb
because I had only checked etch,lenny,unstable and not mentors.
(my bad, sorry, I'm new to this)

regards, moe