Re: Using symbols files

Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:

> I'm not sure zlib is a good example - when I built the current sources
> (which contained the symbols file), I got a lot of lintian warnings
> about the symbols.

The zlib symbol file warnings are because the current versioning wouldn't
work well with backports, but don't indicate any fundamental problem with
the symbols file.  (My recommendation would be to drop the Debian revision
on all the versions in the symbols file for zlib1g, on the grounds that
the introduction of new symbols was an upstream change so any package of,
say, 1.1.4 would have the same symbols even if it was -1~bpo.40 or -0.1 or
something strange.)