Re: FTBFS due to upgrade/bug in build-dependency

On 11/01/2008, Frank Terbeck wrote:
> Okay, I'm not sure if I understand the relevant passages in bts(1),
> for these subcommands. So I guess, I better ask in more detail, so I
> don't screw up my first manual interaction with the bts. :-)

In case you incidentally screw up, everything can be undone anyway,
don't be afraid.

> What confuses me, is the 'new IDs' argument. My guess is this:
>
> % bts clone 456871 -1
>
> So that I can use '-1' instead of waiting for the new number the
> cloned bug get assigned.

Exactly.

> The version argument is to tell the bts that a special version
> introduced the bug in question, right? So, I would do:
>
> % bts reassign 456871 tdb-dev '1.1.1~svn26294-1'

Looks fine, nice to know the version number of the faulty package.

> However, this does not mean, that my bug will be closed once the
> cloned bug will be closed by the maintainer of tdb-dev, will it?

Once cloned, bugs are totally independent.

> If not, what would be an appropriate close message to send once the
> bug in tdb-dev is closed?

You could use a versioned Build-Depends: package (>= fixed-version) and
state so when closing that bug. If your package gets uploaded after your
build dependency, it'll be put in Dep-Wait rather than failing. A
Dep-Wait would be something like: “Dep-Wait: $package >= $version” and
would be displayed on:
http://buildd.debian.org/~jeroen/status/package.php?p=$PACKAGE

> To wrap it up, I would issue these commands, one after another:
>
> % bts clone 456871 -1
> % bts reassign -1 tdb-dev '1.1.1~svn26294-1'
> % bts retitle  -1 "usr/include/tdb.h uses sig_atomic_t without\
>  including signal.h"
> % bts block 456871 by -1
>
> Correct, or did I screw up already?

Quite correct, but how does the BTS know what -1 refers to if you issue
your commands one after the other? Either you use a *single* bts
command, using delimiters (see the manpage), or you put all these
commands the body of a mail you send to control@bugs.debian.org.

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois