Re: RFS: gnome-color-chooser

Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:

> If the upstream uses gettextize instead of glib_gettextize, you see
> this notice:
>
> # This file can be copied and used freely without restrictions.  It can
> # be used in projects which are not available under the GNU General Public
> # License but which still want to provide support for the GNU gettext
> # functionality.
> # Please note that the actual code of GNU gettext is covered by the GNU
> # General Public License and is *not* in the public domain.
>
> This is clearer than the glib_gettextize version.

Well, I'm not disagreeing with what was clearly upstream's *intent*, but
that notice by itself does not grant any permission to modify that file.
You're assuming that it's covered by the GPL, and I expect upstream is
assuming that too, but the notice doesn't actually *say* that.

I think it's buggy wording rather than a problematic license, but the
wording is buggy.  I expect upstream really intends something more like
the license Automake uses.