Re: Removing non-Linux files from source tarballs

On 01/11/2007, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On 11/2/07, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Now, Processing distributes in its source tarball (well, not really a
> > source tarball at all, since it's necessary to get everything from
> > svn), some Windows .exes and some MacOSX-specific files too.
> >
> > Do these have to be removed from the source package that I make for Debian?
>
> If there is no source for them in the tarball, yes. If there is source
> in the tarball, I'd suggest that it is worth the space saving to
> remove them.

So remove them either way?

They seem to be various version of the JRE for Windows and MacOS X
plus the binary for some graphical Windows installer. I don't know how
MacOS X distributes binaries at all, so I don't understand what the
MacOS X directory of Processing contains, although file(1) tells me
it's all binary, and there's no source in sight.

On 02/11/2007, Justin Pryzby <jpryzby+d@quoininc.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 04:27:14PM -0600, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> > It would save 20 megs from the source package. Is that considerable
> > enough for their removal?
>
> That part isn't in policy :) Is that 20mb before or after compression?

After compression. The big ones are mostly jre.zip and jre.tgz for
Windows and GNU/Linux respectively. There are a few other files such
as the graphical Windows installer that I mentioned above that adds
about 3 more megs after compression.

> And get upstream a clue :)

I am nagging upstream about this useless .txt extension they seem to
favour ("preferences.txt", ugh!) and about having executable
permissions set on other text files (e.g. on a  Makefile without a
/usr/bin/make shebang!).

Their build process is also downright ugly. It's a shell script that
attempts to mimic a Makefile and does everything manually. There's
been talk about moving the build process to Apache Ant, but upstream
tells me this is low priority.

I guess when you create code for Windows and MacOS X, professional
deformation makes you do some relatively silly things for GNU/Linux.
:-)

- Jordi G. H.