Re: quilt, cdbs, dpatch, but is there even simpler ?

Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> writes:

> Le Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 12:19:28PM -0400, Matthias Julius a écrit :
>>
>> If nothing in the diff.gz touches files outside of debian there is
>> actually no need for it to be a diff.  It could be debian.tar.gz which
>> would be able to preserve file permissions and symlinks.
>
> I think that it would be interesting. Another thing - more heretic -
> to explore is the system used by the fink project. In their case, they
> have only one file, with herscripts inside if necessary. Maybe trivial
> pacakges (typically those which build well with CDBS) could be shipped
> as just a .dsc file...

That would be rather intrusive.  The above would only require to
unpack an archive instead of applying a patch.  The rest of the build
system would stay the same.  That change should be relatively minor.

I don't know what changes (if any) would be required to track the new
tar.gz files.

Matthias