Re: quilt, cdbs, dpatch, but is there even simpler ?

Charles Plessy wrote:
>>>   use what you like. I usually find quilt simpler, but really, I care
>>> much about you beeing comfortable with it than me. You may want to
>>> read[0].
>> Wow, quilt is much easier to use.  The new maintainer guide recommended
>> dpatch but it sort of sucked, good thing I asked :)
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am really dreaming of a simple system which "just works", such as
> having patches in the debian/patches directory, and having the rest
> working automagically. Or a patch-available / patch-enabled system such
> as in the apache2 configuration.
>
> The easiest way to manage patches I know is cdbs, but I was not brave
> enough to study wether it is possible to separate this feature from the
> others. I read many times that quilt is simpler, but I do not find a
> simple documentation on internet. For the moment I use dpatch, but is is
> a slight work overhead since it is needed to convert patches to
> dpatches, for a benefit which is questionnable : one could embed the
> justification of the patch as comments in the code itself, after all.
>
> Having a simple and straghtforward patch system would lower the bar for
> new packagers, as well as open the way to have .diff.gz files which
> would only touch the debian directory, instead of containing a mixture
> of packaging instructions, code changes, and autoconf gizmo (another
> Debian nightmare which I do not understand the benefit).
>
> I hope that somebody will answer me that I overlooked the patch system
> of my dreams and give me its name...
>
> Have a nice day,

Hi,

Using quilt is easy. Just add
include /usr/share/quilt/quilt.make
before configure: generated by dh_make template.

And then make a rule (for example, configure-stamp) depends on "patch"
and do "unpatch" before clean.
And the rest things are putting your patches into debian/patches
and creating debian/patches/series to list the patch files in
debian/patches.

That's all.
You don't need to convert anything.

regards,