Re: backports.org became really shitty for php5-mysql and mysql-server-5.0

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 09:57:49PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > if you're using backports.org, you may as well be using unstable.
> >
> > I do, but for development purposes only, like many. If it's about me, I
> > use apache 1.3, php4 and mysql4.0 because I don't need anything else.
> > But it's NOT about me this time, it's about other people, and I can tell
> > you that there are a lot doing this.
>
> you miss the point. backports is no better than unstable. once you use
> it on a stable system, you've stopped running stable.
>
> if you think a 'stable' system with some packages from backports is
> still 'stable' then you are just fooling yourself. it's not.

btw, the other thing that makes backports just like 'unstable'
is that you should test every upgrade on another machine *BEFORE*
you upgrade production servers.

you obviously didn't do that. otherwise you would have found the problem
before b0rking your server.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>