Re: backports.org became really shitty for php5-mysql and mysql-server-5.0

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 03:20:59AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> I want to cry about this issue...
>
> Few weeks ago, it was possible to setup php5, mysql5 and apache2 in
> sarge using the backports. But seems few weeks (maybe 1 week ?), if you
> do setup php5-mysql and mysql-server-5 from the backports, then BOOM,
> it's impossible for any php-mysql enabled application to authenticate.
>
> I know how to fix, you "simply" have to recompile php5 using the
> backports.org sources, but that's not the issue. I had a big bunch of
> user of our control panel complaining about it, and most of it thought
> it was the fault of our app, when it is really a backports.org issue.

well, what did you expect?

if you're using backports.org, you may as well be using unstable.

in fact, you're better off with unstable because there are more people
using it, so it is better tested. with backports.org, you can be pretty
sure that NOBODY else is using your exact combination of libraries and
other packages....so you may be the ONLY person to ever encounter a
particular bug.

IMO, backports.org is just a second-rate way of running 'unstable' for
people who are scared by the name 'unstable'.

(and 'testing' is a way of running 'unstable' with a long delay for any
urgent fixes. although at least it also serves the useful purpose of
testing the next release so it's a good thing that some people use it)

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

BOFH excuse #160: non-redundant fan failure