Re: RFS:libqt-perl 3008-3

Le mercredi 14 mars 2007 13:22, Deepak Kumar Tripathi a écrit :
> Hello,

	Hi !

>   I'm looking a sponsor for update a new version of libqt-perl
>
>  Package Name: libqt-perl
>  Short description: Perl bindings for the Qt library

The package looks good, and given that it is an adoption I would tend to think
that it already matches a lot of good criterias for an upload.

However, since it you are adpoting it, I would find it good that you have some
kind of change on it.

In particular, tree minor remarks and one important:
* Copyright should give years on which the code has been worked on
* control is badly written in the build-dep section, some comas not well
placed
* You should remove the changelog.dch.foo file in debian/

Now the important part:
Looking at the diff.gz, there are some important changes in upstream sources.
Some of the I understand, such as:
-                 my $doc_dir = File::Spec->catdir($x{'datadir'},"PerlQt-3");
+                 my $doc_dir = "/usr/share/doc/libqt-perl/tutorial";

Some of them I don't see the point, like:
-/* The size of a `char *', as computed by sizeof. */
+/* The size of `char *', as computed by sizeof. */
or:
+=head1 NAME
+
+PerlQt - Perl interface to the Qt GUI Widget toolkit
+
and some I even wonder what it is about, like this:
+eval 'exec /usr/bin/perl  -S $0 ${1+"$@"}'
+    if 0; # not running under some shell
+
repeated a lot of times for two files...

I think you should understand why these changes take place, remove uneeded
ones and put the other ones as patch located on debian/patches and applied at
build time. That way, the diff.gz will not reflect changes in upstream
sources, and you'll surely be more confident with the package.

Also, as a personal advice, you may look at cdbs support for perl modules, but
this is only personal and not at all an official advice on packaging a perl
module.. Only that cdbs as a quite good class for handling perl modules that
will reduce your rules to the minimal and only relevant parts. You can have a
look at my libfuse-perl for instance.

After this I would be ok to upload the package.

Romain