Re: packages for netcdf 3.6.2 (released today)

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 00:09, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
> debian/README.Debian:
>
> * nothing substantive in here so probably this file should be deleted.

done

> debian/changelog:
>
> * Please close the ITA bug (#321336) in your changelog entry.

done

> * Please merge in the changelog entries from Debian package versions
> 3.6.1-0.2

done

> and 3.6.1-1.

and done

> (I'd suggest merging everything from your
> earlier unofficial packages into one changelog entry for 3.6.2-1.)

done

> * Also, I'd strongly recommend uploading to experimental for the moment
> (i.e. change the target distribution in the first line of the changelog)
> so as not to complicate getting any fixes that may be needed for netcdf3
> into Etch.

done

> * I'm not sure the BTS is smart enough to close #278739 that appears
> with a newline between it and "closes:".  (If I'm wrong, someone please
> correct me.)

Done, but does anyone know if BTS is smart enough to handle this?

> debian/control:
>
> * netcdfg-dev should be in section "oldlibs" since it's an empty
> transition package

done

> * libnetcdf-dev should be in section "libdevel" rather than "devel"

done

> * It's generally a good idea to have the lib*-dev package depend on the
> exact same version of the lib package, e.g.
> Depends: libnetcdf4 (= ${binary:Version})

done

> * The documentation in /usr/share/doc/libnetcdf-dev comes to 3.2 MB,
> probably large enough to consider creating a separate netcdf-doc package
> for it.
>
> On second look I see you have an ITA for "netcdf-doc" -- is this the
> same as the documents now in your packages in
> /usr/share/doc/libnetcdf-dev?  If so, your changelog should also close
> the ITA for #321337.  If not, maybe the existing netcdf-doc package
> would better be renamed something like netcdf-users-guide, based on its
> description.

I am researching this issue.

> debian/copyright:
>
> * In the first line of the first ALL-CAPS clause you have "provided by
> the Regents and Contributors" - this looks like you may have missed
> substituting your own name for "the Regents" ?

done

> Also you may want to
> give the year(s) of your copyright on the Debian packaging.

done

> * I'm not sure whether you may want to acknowledge the previous
> maintainer(s) of netcdf even though you don't use their work.  I seem to
> recall this was discussed on debian-mentors before but I don't remember
> the consensus.

The previous consensus was that if this used none of their work, there was no
reason to mention them in copyright. This is a complete repackaging not using
any prior work, so I have not listed them in copyright. The prior work was
not used as it was so archaic that it didn't even use debhelper.

> debian/docs:
>
> * This file causes README to be installed into the first .deb package
> named in the control file, namely the dummy package netcdfg-dev.  Do you
> actually want it there? (It also gets installed also to the other three
> packages where it makes more sense.)

Removed "docs" file so README is installed in all packages by default.

> debian/libnetcdf-dev.docs:
>
> * I think you should omit the info files from here since they also get
> installed to a more sensible place by the presence of the
> libnetcdf-dev.info file.

done

> debian/rules:
>
> * A number of files in the source tree are autogenerated, for instance
> the PS and PDF files.  If one runs a build and then runs "debian/rules
> clean", these files no longer exist, making the process not idempotent.
>
> To make sure these files get built properly from scratch, I'd recommend
> adding the following commands in the clean target of debian/rules:
>
> 	for file in netcdf-c netcdf-cxx netcdf-f77 netcdf-f90 \
> 		netcdf-install netcdf-tutorial netcdf ; do \
> 		rm -f man/$file.ps man/$file.pdf \
> 			man/$file.html man/$file.dvi ; \
> 	done
> 	rm -f ncdump/ctest.c ncdump/ctest64.c

done

> and also adding "texlive-latex-base | tetex-bin" to Build-Depends in
> debian/control.

done

> (note: they would instead be in Build-Depends-Indep if you create an
> arch: all netcdf-doc package *and* can work out how to get CDBS to
> generate the docs only in the binary-indep target.)

researching

> One last thing: please install RELEASE_NOTES as the upstream changelog
> ("changelog.gz") in all the binary .debs.

done

Updated packages are available as version 3.6.2-1~pre3 from [1].

[1]http://www.penguintechs.org/~wt/debian/netcdf/

wt
--
Warren Turkal