Re: packages for netcdf 3.6.2 (released today)

Warren Turkal wrote:

> The NetCDF 3.6.2 library was just released today. I have created packages at
> [1]. They are lintian clean and apt-gettable. Please review them. Considering
> this is a stable NetCDF release, I am also looking for a sponsor.
>
> [1]http://www.penguintechs.org/~wt/debian/netcdf/

Hi Warren,

as promised earlier, I will be happy to sponsor these packages.

There are some things I think should first be fixed or at least looked at:

debian/README.Debian:

* nothing substantive in here so probably this file should be deleted.

debian/changelog:

* Please close the ITA bug (#321336) in your changelog entry.

* Please merge in the changelog entries from Debian package versions
3.6.1-0.2 and 3.6.1-1.  (I'd suggest merging everything from your
earlier unofficial packages into one changelog entry for 3.6.2-1.)

* Also, I'd strongly recommend uploading to experimental for the moment
(i.e. change the target distribution in the first line of the changelog)
so as not to complicate getting any fixes that may be needed for netcdf3
into Etch.

* I'm not sure the BTS is smart enough to close #278739 that appears
with a newline between it and "closes:".  (If I'm wrong, someone please
correct me.)

debian/control:

* netcdfg-dev should be in section "oldlibs" since it's an empty
transition package

* libnetcdf-dev should be in section "libdevel" rather than "devel"

* It's generally a good idea to have the lib*-dev package depend on the
exact same version of the lib package, e.g.
Depends: libnetcdf4 (= ${binary:Version})

* The documentation in /usr/share/doc/libnetcdf-dev comes to 3.2 MB,
probably large enough to consider creating a separate netcdf-doc package
for it.

On second look I see you have an ITA for "netcdf-doc" -- is this the
same as the documents now in your packages in
/usr/share/doc/libnetcdf-dev?  If so, your changelog should also close
the ITA for #321337.  If not, maybe the existing netcdf-doc package
would better be renamed something like netcdf-users-guide, based on its
description.

debian/copyright:

* In the first line of the first ALL-CAPS clause you have "provided by
the Regents and Contributors" - this looks like you may have missed
substituting your own name for "the Regents" ?  Also you may want to
give the year(s) of your copyright on the Debian packaging.

* I'm not sure whether you may want to acknowledge the previous
maintainer(s) of netcdf even though you don't use their work.  I seem to
recall this was discussed on debian-mentors before but I don't remember
the consensus.

debian/docs:

* This file causes README to be installed into the first .deb package
named in the control file, namely the dummy package netcdfg-dev.  Do you
actually want it there?  (It also gets installed also to the other three
packages where it makes more sense.)

debian/libnetcdf-dev.docs:

* I think you should omit the info files from here since they also get
installed to a more sensible place by the presence of the
libnetcdf-dev.info file.

debian/rules:

* A number of files in the source tree are autogenerated, for instance
the PS and PDF files.  If one runs a build and then runs "debian/rules
clean", these files no longer exist, making the process not idempotent.

To make sure these files get built properly from scratch, I'd recommend
adding the following commands in the clean target of debian/rules:

	for file in netcdf-c netcdf-cxx netcdf-f77 netcdf-f90 \
		netcdf-install netcdf-tutorial netcdf ; do \
		rm -f man/$file.ps man/$file.pdf \
			man/$file.html man/$file.dvi ; \
	done
	rm -f ncdump/ctest.c ncdump/ctest64.c

and also adding "texlive-latex-base | tetex-bin" to Build-Depends in
debian/control.

(note: they would instead be in Build-Depends-Indep if you create an
arch: all netcdf-doc package *and* can work out how to get CDBS to
generate the docs only in the binary-indep target.)

One last thing: please install RELEASE_NOTES as the upstream changelog
("changelog.gz") in all the binary .debs.

best regards,