Re: SVN snapshot versioning

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

>> Ah, so now that we have this '~' allowed by dpkg, we have to use it
>> everywhere?
>
>         No, but we should use it in situations for which is was
>  specifically designed for, no?

Precisely. And it was *not* designed for CVS/SVN/whatever RCS snapshots.
AFAIK, it was designed for Release Candidates, which are well-known for
exhibiting this problem:

   1.0 < 1.0rc1

> This is massively confused.

Sorry, not at all. Besides what Martin explained, using 2.1 in your
version number without knowing for sure that 2.1 is going to be the next
release is ugly, even if it were harmless (which is not the case).
Better use something you do know: if this SVN snapshot is based on 2.0,
then use 2.0.

--
Florent