Re: Newbie question about compiler warnings.

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 01:17:02PM -0800, Tyler MacDonald wrote:
> Brandon Barnes <winterknight@nerdshack.com> wrote:
> > Are we allowed to disable compiler warnings? What is the preferred
> > method, if the code is fine, and would require a huge overhaul to fix?
>
> IANADD
>
> However, my feeling is, the less change to a package you have to do to get
> it working, the better. If the warnings really offend you that much, I would
> suggest using debian/rules to disable them, since that wouldn't be an actual
> change to the package. However, since they are just warnings, they aren't
> doing any harm, and it may be useful/interesting to leave warnings on, say,
> to compare the output from autobuilders compiling this package on different
> platforms.
Indeed, some people parse the buildd logs and file bugs about warnings likely
to cause arch-specific bugs (eg. assuming int size = ptr size).

If anything, enabling -Wall or -Wextra when it is not already done upstream, or
removing upstream -w (disable) would be good, but probably best not to have so
many warnings during a single build that the important ones are obscured..

Justin