Re: Newbie question about compiler warnings.

I demand that Neil Williams may or may not have written...

> On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:54:17 -0800 Brandon Barnes
> <winterknight@nerdshack.com> wrote:
>> Are we allowed to disable compiler warnings? What is the preferred method,
>> if the code is fine, and would require a huge overhaul to fix?

> Warnings are only a problem if -Werror is also set. If upstream don't use
> -Werror, the warnings may actually be useful in debugging the package
> and/or FTBFS bugs from porters.

Agreed. In particular, I've found gcc's -Wformat=2 and -Wformat-security to
be of use. (Fixing -Wformat-security warnings does tend to cause other
warnings, but that's good.)

> As the humble opinion of one DD, hiding any output that does not stop the
> build is a BadIdea(TM) in most cases - as well as being unnecessary.

For C, -Wno-format-zero-length is probably a good idea if using -Wformat (at
least, it is for gxine where the warnings which it suppresses are noise).

> (Which is why I don't mind commented dh_ lines in rules but that's a
> different thread.)

I'd remove those which I'm sufficiently sure will never be needed for
$PACKAGE.

[snip]
>> If so, should I disable them in Makefile, or debian/rules?

> No. I would recommend leaving them in - you may be grateful for the
> evidence in times to come. Warnings are issued for a reason - until
> upstream fix the code, I'd always recommend to leave the warning in place.

Certain ones should be left in anyway, IMO.

|   Kill all extremists!

All is well that ends well.