Re: Newbie question about compiler warnings.

Thanks for the input. I guess the answer is, "no official policy beyond
standard good programming practice." I thought maybe somewhere it was
written "Thou shalt not suppress any warnings!" Wanted to make sure
before I did anything like that.

In my own projects, I make sure they don't give off any warnings. If it
is possible to fix the source so it doesn't give warnings, that is the
route I take. I don't think I've ever had to disable any warnings.

Then I discovered trigraphs. I would definitely describe those warnings
as noise, unless you intend to use them. I can't imagine why anyone
would use them.

As for asking upstream to fix it, I can't, for two reasons. Upstream is
dead, and there is nothing to fix. I won't fix it myself, because that
would mean hacking a workaround in dozens of xpm files. I would be
exchanging a minor, harmless annoyance with a bigger minor annoyance.

Anyway, thanks again for the input. I think I'll disable the warnings
anyway. I don't do that, on principle, but, the way I see it, they may
interfere with my noticing other, more important warnings in the future.

-Brandon