Re: yes, GPL means GPL3 today... (Re: RFS: gnome-color-chooser)

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 12:04:48PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > I think the best way is to include the license text in debian/copyright
> > just like any other license that is not in common-licenses.
>
> We probably don't really want to include a copy of the GPLv1 in every Perl
> package.

If the license is used in many packages, we should add it to
common-licenses.  If it isn't, then it should be no problem to include
it in debian/copyright.

Technical arguments are very weak for arguing that we should remove a
choice from our users IMO.  The only valid argument I can think of is
"it's better for free software if they can't choose GPL-1."  Arguing
that must be done on philosophical grounds.

RMS does this, in his attempts to move people to use the newest version
of the GPL.  He has a point, but if Debian would fully agree with it, I
suppose we would relicense all GPL works as GPL version 3 or later when
possible.  Since we don't, I don't see why we should change "GPL 1 or
later" to "GPL 2 or later".  Certainly not on the ground of it being too
hard to think of how to write down the licensing terms...

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html