Re: yes, GPL means GPL3 today... (Re: RFS: gnome-color-chooser)

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 03:06:27PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> And yes, if you refer to "the GPL" today, it certainly means GPL3.

Not at all.  Well, at least not completely. ;-)  GNU GPL 3 itself says
about this (section 14):

	If the Program does not specify a version number of the GNU
	General Public License, you may choose any version ever
	published by the Free Software Foundation.

(Version 2 says this as well, by the way, in section 9.)

> > Are now all packages buggy that reference
> > /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL instead of GPL-2 because GPL now
> > points to GPL-3?
>
> Yes.

Only if they are "GPL 2 only".  GPL 3 is a valid license for a GPL2+
licensed work.  It might be better to reference both version 2 and 3,
but referencing version 3 is certainly not wrong.

> > the GPL  symlink should be removed alltogether to avoid similar
> > issues when the next GPL version comes along.
>
> Yes.

Or we could define what it should be used for. :-)  I think it is
reasonable to use it to refer to the latest version of the license for
GPL*+ licensed programs.  As in:

	This program is released under the GNU General Public License,
	version 2 or any later version.  Version 2 can be found in
	/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2 ; The latest version of the
	license can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL .

Or something like that.

IANAL, TINLA.

Thanks,
Bas