Re: a "package-all" package

Le 13 déc. 07 à 17:20, Felipe Sateler a écrit :

Thibaut Paumard wrote:

Hello,

I'm packaging an interpreted language, Yorick, and a bunch of add-ons
for that language.

I'd like to provide a wrapper package that would depend on all the
packages in this family present in main and suggest the one that is
[...]
I'd say that in general, it is not such a good idea to make a metapackage for packages from different sources, because it means all the problems you
listed.
In this case: why would you want to install *everything* yorick- related?

Because Yorick is an interpreter, you just use it like a shell. More packages installed means more functionalities are installed. There a some packages that very few people are likely to use, but others should almost always be installed (like jpeg and png i/o, so those should go in yorick's Recommends anyway) and I would strongly suggest to install most on any system that is not very tight on disk space (as soon as you install yorick, that is ;-)

After all, users wouldn't want most of it, and developers can install what they need to do their development (you don't see a C++-dev-all package that
depends on all c++ libraries ;).

That would be much bigger, and almost every Yorick user _is_ a developer in a way.

Regards, Thibaut.