Re: New package "unicornscan" , I GIVE UP !

Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> I suppose, this is all to difficult and complicated for me. As the package is
> new, I get MD5-errors and more. So, as this process is too difficult for me,
> and is taking to much of long time, I give up.

Sorry to hear that.

> Sorry, I am not willing to collect all the different docs and reaqd, this is
> boring and for one package it is too much of a thing.

Unfortunately, if you want to maintain a package for Debian, that means
you have to be responsible for their state in Debian, understanding how
the packaging process works and so on. So yes, that takes some reading.
Remember that Debian is a big group of people. We need some sort of
organization to be able to work together effectively, so it may take a
bit of learning in order to successfully interact with this community,
even if you just want to get a simple piece of software inside it.

If you don't want to be the maintainer for the package, and instead only
want to have it packaged, you can file a RFP (request for package) bug
to the package 'wnpp'.
Simply using 'reportbug wnpp' and filling in the proper fields should be
enough. It should guide you through.

> Anyway, if someone likes to have a look at the package, I will sent him as an
> email, if not, no problem: It is running on my computer.
>
> I was just intend to take part in the community, but it seem not to work.

Again, taking a part in the community takes a bit of learning.
There are many people that want to take part in it and all of them have
questions like you. Many of these questions have already been answered
somewhere, so instead of taking our time to answer personally to each
and every question (time that could be spent improving the quality of
Debian, and which I'm ironically losing myself) we simply direct people
to places where they can find the answers themselves and in the process
they show that they are willing to make an effort to contribute to the
community by learning.

> And please: Do not write me, "read here", "read there", "read somewhere!",
> really, for some few questions, I am not willing to read hours lots of stuff.

If you are not willing to make this effort, it seems you're not willing
to be a part of the community, but perhaps I understand you wrong: if
you're just frustrated because you can't find the answer to your
question where people pointed you to, or because people seem to have
misunderstood your question, please don't hesitate to ask again. But be
patient. We're all volunteers, your questions can take some time to be
answered. You gave up in less then 2 hours, from what I see in your emails.

Remember: your "some few questions" may seem straightforward to you, but
the answers may not be and if they've already been answered somewhere
else, what would be the difference between answering them in a personal
email to you, or reading them in a different place? Just the work of the
person writing you an answer (in this case: me).

At any rate, if you're not interested in making an effort with this
package, I might take it over and package it myself. It seems
interesting, but I'll need to take a better look before committing to it.

Cheers

--
Leo "costela" Antunes
[insert a witty retort here]