Re: automatically parseable debian/copyright

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 10:27:21AM +0100, Bart Martens wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 17:44 +0930, Paul Wise wrote:
> > I'd suggest that the copyright file
> > should be redone and done so it can be parsed automatically:
> >
> > http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat
>
> On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 18:21 +0930, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Nov 28, 2007 6:15 PM, Bart Martens <bartm@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > > As far as I know, it has not yet been decided that the debian/copyright
> > > files must be formatted as described on the wiki page quoted above.  Or
> > > did I miss some decision ?
> >
> > You didn't miss anything.
>
> Good, thanks for confirming that.
>
> > It is a good idea that I felt like
> > suggesting in this instance since there were a few files with
> > differing copyright info.
>
> I can imagine that some package in particular might be an interesting
> case to try the proposed format for debian/copyright.  But I think that
> debian-mentors is not the best place for that.  It is, in my opinion,
> better that all sponsors on debian-mentors stick to current policies and
> practices.

IMO there's nothing wrong with suggesting to do things in a certain way,
even if there is no consensus about that (yet).  Perhaps this suggestion
looked a bit too much like "this is how it should be done" and not
enough like "you could consider this, but it's up to you if you like
it".  But there's nothing wrong with that latter type of statement.

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html