Re: mentors.debian.net reloading

On 26/10/07 at 14:18 +0200, Christoph Haas wrote:
> > Please seperate features list and implementation details: if you want
> > other people to contribute, you might have to be flexible with things
> > such as which framework/language you choose.
>
> Regarding frameworks: since I'm pretty active in the Pylons project and
> probably will have to do >50% of the work myself anyway (currently >99%)
> I chose the weapons. I hope others are more flexible and like my choice. :)
>
> The list is deliberately kept a bit sketchy. When it comes to planning
> the actual application I intend to have a thorough documentation. Right
> now it's more like mental notes on how to do certain things. Just ignore
> them if they don't make sense. Nothing is fixed on the list. But I won't
> turn a coffee machine into an nuclear power plant so some parameters are
> fixed. And it will have to be Python because otherwise even the utility
> libraries would have to be rewritten. It's not like we'd have to start
> entirely from scratch.
>
> > Regarding CPU-intensive QA tests (builds and piuparts runs): I think
> > that it's very important to do them on mentors.
>
> Might be helping the sponsor to determine if the package builds. But I'm
> not sure if it's worth it. Just my personal opinion.

I'm more interested in piuparts tests than in builds, actually. The
point is that most DDs don't use piuparts because there's not many
benefits in spending time setting it up. Having a piuparts installation
working on mentors.d.n would allow everybody to easily test his
packages.

Regarding builds, it might not be necessary, but it's still good to
have. When packages are waiting for a long time, rebuilding them from
time to time could exclude some packages that are no longer candidates
for sponsorship (since they fail to build).

> > I don't think that resources are a problem: nobody said that you _had_
> > to host mentors yourself.
>
> It is a rented virtual root server with enough power and 1 TB of free
> traffic that I pay for from my spare money. I think it would be able to
> do that if needed.
>
> I might get you wrong but to me you sound more like "If you are
> incapable of running the service properly then let someone else step up"
> instead of "I think that test builds are important. If you agree but
> don't have the proper resources I can perhaps offer some computing
> power.". Sorry if my emotion chip got you wrong.

Your emotion chip went a bit wrong, but not totally ;) I have the
feeling that the lack of open-ness in mentors.d.n caused several people
to reinvent it (with sponsors.d.n and REVU). Of course, it's not the
only cause, but I have the feeling that mentors could be much better
than it currently is, but isn't, because of the fact that it was
developed "privately".

I hope that things will change, but everybody has to have an open mind
if we want this to happen.