Re: gscan2pdf

On Thu August 30 2007 2:35:08 pm Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On 30/08/2007, John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:
> > (BTW, could I have your permission to CC -mentors about this?)
>
> Certainly.
>
> > I know that you are using Mercurial upstream.  I'm maintaining a Debian
> > branch for it in Mercurial.  If you're wanting me to upload packages, it
> > would be most convenient to keep it there, I believe.
>
> How does that work? Is there any need to separate upstream from Debian
> in that case?

Well, that is an interesting question.

If you integrate debian/ into your own upstream source tree, and are the
Debian maintainer of the package, and you create a new upstream version
every time something in the Debian package changes, then you could make a
native upload.

Since I am not you, I have a separate Debian branch.

Now, since you're on mentors and looking for a sponsor for uploads, perhaps
it makes sense to start slow right now and keep the separate trees.

I'd be happy to help you work with this branching in Mercurial if you need
it, and to pull and review your changes into my tree for uploads.  I don't
know that I'm comfortable setting Maintainer to you just yet, but after
watching your work handling uploads and Debian bugs, I could be convinced to
do that before too long.  At that point, you are on your own for what you do
with version control.

> > Have you applied to the new-maintainer process already?
>
> No. I was under the impression that I should get a few uploads under
> my belt first in order to get to know people. Please put me straight,
> though.

You probably have more current knowledge of that process than I.  I was just
asking to get a feel for how experienced you are with Debian packaging.

> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 08:34:19 +0200
>
> How do you go about investigating lost email? Anyway, it was about

Log files to start with.  In this case though your message was still in my
inbox.  I do remember it, in fact, and had meant to reply.  Sorry for
missing on that (also I didn't realize it was connected to gscan2pdf)

> this: I packaged and uploaded tesseract-2.0 to mentors. It is used by
> gscan2pdf and is not in Debian yet (tesseract-1.0 is). I was wondering
> if you would be prepared to upload it and its 6 language packs for me.
> tesseract-2.0 BTW is excellent - I use the new German language pack a
> great deal.

The first thing here is that you should get in touch with the tesseract
maintainer, gurkan at linuks dot mine dot nu.  It looks like you are
preparing a new version of the package he maintains.  I don't think that
anybody would sponsor an upload of a package that would effectively hijack
it from the current maintainer.  I would suggest that he would be a better
person than I to work with you on tesseract uploads.

Does that all make sense?

-- John