Re: Package question, disappearing /etc/xinetd.d config file

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 01:12:58PM -0600, Chris Thompson wrote:
> Hello.  I am trying to create a set of debian packages.  Everything is going
> well except that I am trying to add a file into /etc/xinet.d so that the
> server is started automatically.
>
> When I run dpkg -i packagename.deb, I see that it creates a file called
> quasard.dpkg-new in /etc/xinet.d but by the time the installation is
That's the behavior of dpkg for conffiles; at configuration time it
looks for .dpkg-new and does the tests for whether to replace or
update the conffile, or prompt (only iff both the maintainer and admin
updated it, and to different content).

> complete, this file is removed.
That's not expected though..

> Strangely, if I set user and group to root, the file is not removed at the end
> of the install and everything works.  Note that I am using /opt/quasar for my
> directory tree.  I set the ownership of this directory to quasar:quasar in my
> postinst file.  I create the user and group quasar in my preinst file.
Why in preinst?

BTW do you know about the maintainer script rollback actions?
http://justinpryzby.com./debian/dpkg/

They're not strictly necessary to implement, but you have to at least
check the arguments to make sure you're not doing forwards things in a
backwards path (although in many cases this is the right thing to do,
I guess that's by deliberate design decision).

> What am I doing incorrectly?
Can you link to your diff.gz?  I'm in particular interested in seeing
your maintainer scripts.

Justin