Re: debian .orig.tar.gz vs. upstream tar.gz

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:18:52 +0530
Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil@imsc.res.in> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I got hit by this so I wanted to note it down where it might be of
> use to others. It *is* elementary but then ...

It sounds wrong to me - which package is this? Does the debian
changelog mention that the upstream .tar.gz has had to be repacked for
some reason?

> Suppose	pkg_123.45.orig.tar.gz is already in the Debian archive.

What is the current Debian version?

> To build a new version pkg_123.45-xxx of the Debian package.
>
> *Always* use the Debian version of the .orig.tar.gz by doing "apt-get -d source pkg".
>
> Do *not* get the upstream .tar.gz which may have changed for some
> mysterious reason.

? It shouldn't - that is the point of .orig.tar.gz, you should be able
to use it as a symlink to the upstream .tar.gz except in unusual cases
where the upstream .tar.gz is borked and needs to be repacked. EVERY
instance of repacking .orig.tar.gz needs to be explained in
debian/changelog.

You should be able to wget the upstream tar.gz, download the
Debian .dsc and the Debian .diff.gz, then unpack the .dsc as normal:
wget http://upstream/pkg_version.tar.gz
ln -s pkg_version.tar.gz pkg_version.orig.tar.gz
wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/path/pkg_version.dsc
wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/path/pkg_version.diff.gz
dpkg-source pkg_version.dsc

e.g. I just did:
$ wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pilot-qof/pilot-qof_0.1.5-1.dsc
$ wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pilot-qof/pilot-qof_0.1.5-1.diff.gz
$ wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pilot-qof/pilot-qof-0.1.5.tar.gz?modtime=1185906651&big_mirror=0
$ ln -s pilot-qof-0.1.5.tar.gz pilot-qof_0.1.5.orig.tar.gz
$ dpkg-source -x pilot-qof_0.1.5-1.dsc

without problems. That is how it is meant to work so that if I have
already downloaded the upstream tarball, I don't need to get the Debian
one as well.

> Do *not* depend on a local .orig.tar.gz as it may also have changed for
> some other mysterious reason.

It should not have changed.

I'm confused. Is this related to the other messages in this thread or
did you mean to start a new thread? One of the reasons I started the
original thread was so that I could rely on .orig.tar.gz only being
downloaded once for each sponsorship run. The .orig.tar.gz IS the
upstream.tar.gz unless there are good reasons to repack the upstream
archive.

I have seen things happening like this but only in one situation: where
the Debian package is not native but uses a native Debian version
string.

--

Neil Williams