dh_install and python version

Hi,

I have packaged a python program. The packaging is fairly simple :
1) python setup.py build
2) python setup.py install --root $(CURDIR)/debian/tmp\
                           --install-lib usr/lib/python$*
3) dh_install splits the package.

This works (I use python-central). Source code details may be seen online[1].

However, I'm not quite sure about this "--install-lib
usr/lib/python$*" because :
- it's nowhere to be seen in example packages
- I must harcode "usr/lib/python2.4/..." in debian/package.install
files, this means that my package will FTBS when python2.5 becomes the
default.

Shipping private modules clears the problem out (using "--install-lib
usr/share/sourcepackagename" and moving the private extension using
dh_install), but I see only advantages in shipping public modules for
the default python version.

My next idea is to preprocess new debian/package.install.in files into
package.install files to match the python version. Is that not too
hacky?

Thanks in advance for advices, inputs or even clues,

Alex

[1] http://mroy31.dyndns.org/~roy/projects/deejayd/browser