Re: Man pages and UTF-8

Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> Okay. That doesn't mean it's not a bug; it simply points out where the
> bug *is*.

> (Assuming, of course, that I'm correct in saying lenny is supposed to
> support UTF-8 throughout, and that failure to do so is a bug.)

Yes, I think you're right.  It's just a difficult bug to fix.

I think the bug is in groff, although it's possible that groff is now
sufficiently in touch with UTF-8 that it's just a man-db problem.  But I
doubt that.  The previous information I'd gotten about this is that
groff's handling of multibyte characters needed to be reworked entirely.