Re: [help] Merging tag and trunk in a SVN repository.

Le Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 11:08:59PM +0200, Daniel Leidert a écrit :

> The standard way is, that you make a copy: svn copy ....
> In your case, the trunk branch was copied to tags/. So find out, which
> revision (I will use the term 'copyrev' for this revision number) this
> was and make sure, that trunk is in the state it was, when the copy was
> made. From your description I read, the the changes in trunk were *not*
> copied (svn-ignore) and you moved to the copy in tags/ to make the
> changes "again" (or copy your changes). So trunk should not conatin any
> changes. Then simply merge everything with:
>
> svn merge -r copyrev:HEAD merge tags/5.0.0-2/ trunk/

Dear Daniel,

I start to understand better, but I only manage to replace one file by
another.

Let's take the changelog as an example:

In the trunk, it mentions work on the manpages, and on moving files to
lib- packages.
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-emboss/emboss/trunk/debian/changelog?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

In the tags/5.0.0-2, it mentions the work on the manpages, incorporation
of upstream fixes, and fixes related to Debian packaging.
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-emboss/emboss/tags/5.0.0-2/debian/changelog?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

(I have made a few commits since you answered, so let us just take this
as a starting point without thinking about the past mistakes unless
necessary)

Now if I run the following command, nothing happens:
svn merge -r HEAD:HEAD tags/5.0.0-2/ trunk/

But with this other one, trunk's changelog is just replaced by the tags
one:
svn merge -r 87:HEAD tags/5.0.0-2/ trunk/

I did not manage to figure out how to simply merge the files, with
conflicts to resolve by hand if necessary, in order to have everything
in the changelog...

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy