Re: RFS: open-invaders

Hi!

* Siegfried-Angel <siggi.gevatter@gmail.com> [070731 15:33]:

> I fixed everything you said (it's online on mentors.deban.net [1])
> except point 3, that one about the architecture independent stuff. You
> mean that the data should be in a separate binary package
> (open-invaders-data)?

Yes... Debian is shipped with 11 different architectures (even more if
you count the inofficial / upcoming architectures, too).

Now let's do a small estimation:  3MB architecture independent Stuff, 11
architectures, that are 30MB wasted disc space.  500 Mirrors... you just
wasted 15 GB Traffic ;)

> If so, could you appoint me to a tutorial on how to do that? (I looked
> at the contents of the Debian New Maintainer's Guide but it doesn't
> look like there's anything related to that).

Uhm... actually I'm not sure of an howto... will put it on my todo-List
to create one ;)

But actually it's quite simple: First you need to add a description for
the -data Package to debian/control and set proper package
relationships, than you tweak your debian/rules so that the arch
independent stuff is installed to the -data package.

Easiest might be you take a look at the ppracer package as example:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-games/packages/trunk/ppracer/debian/control?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-games/packages/trunk/ppracer/debian/rules?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

That package builds two additional arch independent packages, and has
(hopefully) an easy to understand rules, but feel free to ask questions
:)

> Also, currently the game is only building on i386 (upstream author
> promised to fix that, but it may still need some time), so is this
> necessary now?

Oh, good point.  Missed that... would sponsor your package, but your
current approach doesn't work.

Did you test your game?  It doesn't find it's data files, now that you
just moved them away.

So, your new todo list:
 - Use some proper ./configure-flags instead of moving files around
   (Hint: Either take a look at ./configure --help or play with relative
   path to parent directories for mandir and docdir, and use an absolute
   path for bindir.)
 - You need to review your debian/dirs
   (Removing directories manually in debian/rules, after you added them
   do debian/dirs doesn't sound very logic; perhaps you just remove
   debian/dirs complelty)
 - BTW:  Did you asked upstream, why his makefile installs the header
   files?  Seems so wrong to me, perhaps it's just some kind of bug?

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander