Re: repository signing and apt-get authentication

On 31 Jul 2007 11:14:45 -0400
Ian Zimmerman <itz@madbat.mine.nu> wrote:

> Ian> And this is my main question: have you figured out what causes
> Ian> this error?
>
> Neil> Yes - the error is caused by not using reprepro.
> Neil> :-)
>
> I am afraid from my POV this is not particularly funny.  The
> documentation (i.e. the apt manual and the secure apt wiki) doesn't
> mention reprepro (or mini-dinstall), I was trying to do this the
> documented way (well, except having a flat directory)

I have no idea about the docs, I just use the tool(s) that work.

I was using mini-dinstall, you appear not to be. Any solution I used
would not be applicable to your usage.

>, and it didn't
> work.  I don't feel "just use whiz-bang tool foo" is the correct
> answer in such a situation, or at least it is not the complete
> answer.  That would include at least acknowledging that the
> documentation is wrong.

I've no idea if the documentation that you mention is right or wrong. I
was using mini-dinstall - you are not. I'm not sure why you think my
experience is applicable to a different method.

> Ian> All this works flawlessly until I introduce signing.  As soon as
> Ian> I add a Release.gpg file (generated by cd /var/local/debian &&
> Ian> gpg -abs -o Release.gpg Release) apt-get starts giving me the
> Ian> above error message.  Now the wording made me think that perhaps
> Ian> perhaps I should NOT compress the Packages file, so I tried to
> Ian> omit the gzip step above.  But then apt-get complains it cannot
> Ian> retrieve Packages file!
>
> Neil> No. The error is because mini-dinstall doesn't support what you
> Neil> want.
>
> Huh?  I didn't use mini-dinstall at all.  I was generating the
> metadata manually, in the documented format.

Then maybe it would have been an idea to change the subject line of
this year-old reply??!!

I have no idea how to continue this thread - I didn't use the method
you describe, the bug report that I was considering (a YEAR ago!) is
completely inapplicable to your method because the bug was meant to be
against mini-dinstall, not the docs. I am now using reprepro
exclusively and I don't think I can help you - other than advise you,
as I did, to switch to reprepro. I know it works. I'm not responsible
for the docs and I'm not a repository expert or maintainer of
repository-related packages but if some of the docs are on the wiki,
feel free to correct them.

--

Neil Williams