Re: Creating /usr/bin/ entries to scripts the right way

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 10:48:21AM +0530, Kumar Appaiah <akumar@ee.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
> Dear Debian Mentors,
>
> While working on a Python command-line application (harvestman, which
> is already in Debian), I have the necessity to create a /usr/bin
> entry. Now, creating a symbolic link to the actual executable in
> /usr/lib/python2.4/... is what the provided installer does. But I want
> to replace it with this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/`pyversions \
> -d`/site-packages/HarvestMan/harvestman.py "$@"
>
> Now, this is find and great. But _how_ do I put this in my package? Do
> I put it as "harvestman.exec" in my package's ./debian/ directory and
> then copy it and set the permissions for it using install? Or is there
> a more elegant way of getting over this?

This is just the fine way. Or, for 2 lines, you can directly write them
in debian/rules. BTW, I would recommend you to, and to hard code the
python version in the script provided by the package instead of using
pyversions at runtime : if your package is built for python 2.4 and 2.5,
and is installed when python 2.6 becomes default, it will stop working.

Mike