Re: Creating Source Packages

On Sunday 29 July 2007, Ben Finney wrote:
> Brendon Costa <brendon@christian.net> writes:
> > I have those files listed below (Excepting the
> > package_1.0-1.diff.gz) as there are no differences that need to be
> > applied for debian. So a "source distribution" would just include
> > the .dsc and .tar.gz file.
>
> Even when you are acting in both the "upstream" and "Debian packager"
> role, you should ensure the foo_1.0.orig.tar.gz contains only the
> source for the package, *not* the Debian-specific stuff; and apply the
> Debian-specific changes in a foo_1.0-1.diff.gz patch.
>
> This way your source tarball is more useful to people not using
> Debian, or those who want to package your source for a different
> distribution.

I also share that opinion, but some do not (#388394) providing pointless
arguments.

Another advantage of having a non-native package is the orig.tar.gz only has
to be uploaded once for every upstream release, and whenever you change
something to the packaging of same upstream version and bump up the debian
revision, you only need to upload the diff.gz to the archives.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB