Re: Creating Source Packages

Brendon Costa <brendon@christian.net> writes:

> I have those files listed below (Excepting the
> package_1.0-1.diff.gz) as there are no differences that need to be
> applied for debian. So a "source distribution" would just include
> the .dsc and .tar.gz file.

Even when you are acting in both the "upstream" and "Debian packager"
role, you should ensure the foo_1.0.orig.tar.gz contains only the
source for the package, *not* the Debian-specific stuff; and apply the
Debian-specific changes in a foo_1.0-1.diff.gz patch.

This way your source tarball is more useful to people not using
Debian, or those who want to package your source for a different
distribution.

--
 \           "If [a technology company] has confidence in their future |
  `\      ability to innovate, the importance they place on protecting |