Re: RFS: command-not-found

"Michael Vogt" <mvo@ubuntu.com> wrote in message [🔎] 20070703114157.GW7214@top.ping.de">news:[🔎] 20070703114157.GW7214@top.ping.de...
On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 10:46:13PM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
Christoph Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 10:08:47PM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
>> Dear mentors,
[..]
>> It builds these binary packages:
>> command-not-found - Suggest installation of packages in interactive >> bash sessions
>> command-not-found-data - Set of data files for command-not-found
>
> I just built and installed it. There is some funny whitespace in > between
> the messages:
>
> ===============================
> $ inetd
> Command 'inetd' is available in '/usr/sbin/inetd'
> The command could not be located because '/usr/sbin' is not i ncluded > in the PATH environment variable. > This is most likely caused by the lack of administ rative priviledges > associated with your user account.
> bash: inetd: command not found
> ===============================
>
> i ncluded -> included
> administ rative -> administrative
> priviledges -> privileges
Fixed.

I would like to merge the fix. Do you maintain the package is some
version control system? We use bzr so it might be a good fit for you
too to make merging easy.

> Did you talk to the Ubuntu maintainer already? Perhaps it make sense to
> join forces so that only one package is built?
He's CCed, so: mvo: What's your opinion?

I would really like to, but this can only work if we have a seperate
command-not-found-data source package because the mapping of
"binary"<->"package" will differ from ubuntu to debian (even if it is
only a very minor difference in most cases).

As far as policy concerns, while it is not terribly common for "-data" packages to have sperate source packages, it is entriely allowable. The main package can (assuming no differenced in Debian/Ubuntu policies) can automatically migrate from debian unstable (or however that system works), or have the same packed re-uploaded to Ubuntu. One potential inconvience is that users are likely to report bugsd on the wrong package in the BTS in some cases (main package wehn the bug is in the data package), but that is not really a problem. Bugs can be re-assigned fairly easily.